If you have been waking up with slight or chronic neck pain, your pillow is most likely the culprit. Remember that the main essence of a pillow is to provide neck and shoulder support and prevent neck pain. The best pillow for neck pain is one that is well-crafted to provide the right support (lordotic curve) to the neck and shoulder. In addition, the best pillow for neck pain should provide maximum comfort to the neck before, during, and after sleep.
Firstly, you should know and understand that there is a default position the neck must be when you are sleeping. Secondly, the best pillow for neck pain is needed to maintain this position in terms of the correct curvature and proper alignment. This article is primarily geared towards talking about the best pillow for neck pain. But that’s not all; a comprehensive buying guide and frequently asked questions section are also included to make this article wholesome. Without further ado, let’s dig in!
- Top 10 best pillows for neck pain
- 1 – Epabo Contour Memory Foam Pillow
- 2 – Elviros Cervical Memory Foam Pillow
- 3 – Tempur-pedic Neck Pillow
- 4 – Zoey Sleep Shredded Memory Foam Cervical Pillow
- 5 – Xtreme Comfort Hypoallergenic Bamboo Pillow
- 6 – Coop Home Goods Eden Pillow
- 7 – Sleep Artisan Natural Latex Pillow
- 8 – Misiki Memory Foam Pillow
- 9 – ZAMAT Adjustable Cervical Memory Foam Pillow
- 10 – Nursal Neck Shoulder Massager Pillow
- 11 – Buying Guide
- 12 – Frequently Asked Questions
- 13 – Conclusion
Top 10 best pillows for neck pain
1 – Epabo Contour Memory Foam Pillow
This pillow occupies the first position for many reasons, but being a memory foam is the most outstanding feature. As a foam pillow, it contains some layers of foam, which affects the height. And with this ability to adjust the height, this pillow is universal; every type of sleeper can use it. All that needs to be done is to take out foam from the middle of the pillow to get the perfect height. So, stomach, side, and back sleepers can buy this pillow, and it would serve them well.
Another outstanding feature of this pillow is its unique ergonomic design. Physically, this pillow does not look like a regular pillow; it is well contoured on the s
ide. On the inside, this pillow is made from hypoallergenic rayon and polyester combination for maximum comfort. Generally, this pillow is therapeutic and provides relief for those suffering from neck pain. It is a soft yet firm pillow, and users globally have lent credence to its ability to turn neck pain around.
- Cervical and Therapeutic pillow.
- 0.8″ thick memory foam.
- Ergonomic contour design.
- Free pillowcase.
- Queen firm, Queen soft, king firm, and king firm variants.
- Breathable material.
- Suitable for all types of sleepers.
- The height can be adjusted.
- It is hypoallergenic and 100% safe.
- The pillow would never cause a user to be hot.
- It contains 20% more foam than its counterparts.
- It takes a while to get adjusted to it as a new user.
- Some users find the neck support to be too high
2 – Elviros Cervical Memory Foam Pillow
When it comes to extra attention to ergonomic design, Elviros is one of the few cervical pillows that does it seamlessly. A quick glance at this pillow shows the strategic contour edges along with the center cavity for premium sleeper comfort.
Similar to the Epabo, this pillow is also suitable for all sleepers. Particularly, it is possible to adjust it to fit any sleeping position. Buying it is definitely killing two or more birds with a stone.
It is zippered to make sure that the outer cover can be cleaned.
The unique ergonomic design ensures that the head, spine, top arm, neck, and shoulder are properly aligned. The height can be varied to fit into different sleeping positions and solve different pain points. The arc shape assists with making breathing even easier by supporting the head and neck curve. There is also a contour area to ease the pressure off the shoulder. Lastly, the armrest also relieves pressure from the arm to the wrist.
- Made of 38% ice silk and 62% polyester.
- Contoured edges.
- Soft and breathable pillowcase.
- 100% memory foam.
- Four color variants.
- Queen and standard size.
- Two heights variation.
- With the contours, neck and back pain are sure to reduce.
- The rebound after compression is fast; it happens in less than five seconds.
- The breathable surface makes air circulation effortless for comfort while sleeping.
- It takes a while to get accustomed to as a new user.
- It gives off a light smell when new, so a bit of ventilation is required.
3 – Tempur-pedic Neck Pillow
The most outstanding feature of this neck pillow is the material- Tempur. Tempur is a uniquely extra-firm material used in pillow making to support the neck and shoulder. It is built with the classic contour in one step to provide support for side and back sleepers. The contour ensures that there is a proper alignment of the spine, head, and shoulder.
As usual, it is hypoallergenic and enclosed in a polyester-knitted cover that allows for air circulation. More so, polyester is a naturally warm material, so it would definitely be comfortable. However, you can still use your extra pillowcase if you desire. The pillow comes in three different sizes based on the loft. The small, medium and large sizes are 3″,4″, and 4.75″, respectively.
Although there is a tall and short side of the loft, the short side determines the height. Tempur guarantees users a five-year warranty on any unit of this pillow. This warranty protects you against defects and excessive memory foam compression. There is a zipper that blends into the pillow’s design, which makes it aesthetically appealing.
- Three size variants.
- Ergonomic contour.
- Memory foam filling.
- 100% breathable polyester cover.
- 5-year limited warranty.
- Side and Back sleeper only.
- The 4″ variant is perfect for medium frames.
- Provides extra neck support for back sleepers.
- Provides extra lift for side sleepers to maintain a good sleeping posture.
- It takes a while to off-gas, so you have to be ready for the harmless odor.
4 – Zoey Sleep Shredded Memory Foam Cervical Pillow
It is no mistake that this is one of the best pillow for neck pain. The ergonomic curve incorporated into the design already tells it all. This curve blended into the design is meant to curve around the shoulder for a great sleeping experience. Interestingly, the loft is adjustable based on personal preferences. And this is evident from the extra foam pack the manufacturer. This makes it possible to have a varying degree of firmness, from medium to soft. Chiropractors especially love this pillow for the attention to detail the manufacturer put into the design.
Unlike others discussed so far, this pillow is designed specifically for side sleepers. The inner filling and shredded memory foam make it densely packed. And it comes in the queen and king size only. It is noteworthy that both the inner case and foam filling are machine washable. Zoey prides itself in producing 100% hypoallergenic pillows made from lyocell fibers for extra softness and comfortability. Lyocell fiber is made from a combination of eucalyptus, oak, and other woods. When it comes to full neck and shoulder support, you can trust this pillow. When it comes to breathability, it is also one of the best.
- Extra memory foam.
- Lyocell fiber.
- Machine washable.
- Certipur certified pillow.
- Side sleeper’s pillow.
- Two size variants.
- It is extra soft to relieve tension in the neck and shoulders.
- Its memory foam is customizable and adjustable.
- It is reasonably priced.
- It still requires a bit of off-gassing.
- There are no color variants.
5 – Xtreme Comfort Hypoallergenic Bamboo Pillow
The first thing to note about this pillow is that it works for all types of sleepers. Back, side, and stomach sleepers can use this pillow. It looks like a normal pillow but with the ability to adjust the inner fillings. The inner foam is shredded to enhance air circulation because there is ample space between the foam. Furthermore, the bamboo cover is micro-vented alongside kool-flow technology for superior air circulation and breathability. As a memory foam pillow, it is manufactured to meet stringent standards according to CertiPur-US. It is non-lumpy and contains no harmful chemicals.
Again, the bamboo cover has a silky feel with enough flexibility. Because of the foam density, the pillow never goes flat; instead, it rebounds to its original size. It is also interesting to note that it is machine washable and dryable. This pillow is extremely safe and healthy for even pregnant women to use. In fact, you can decide not to use a pillowcase with a super soft outer shell. The inner filling is quite crumbly and conforms to the shape of the neck and head immediately when compressed. The zipper is highly functional, and the seams are strong and solid.
Even when washed, the outer shell never shrinks. Overall, the design is sleek, and the pillow always stays in shape.
- Kool-flow technology.
- Bamboo fiber material.
- 100% Hypoallergenic and Antibacterial.
- Dust mite resistant.
- Machine washable.
- It is suitable for all sleeping positions.
- The pillow is properly micro-vented for airflow.
- Possibility to machine-dried and fluffed.
- Some users have noted lumps.
- The smell is also a form of concern.
6 – Coop Home Goods Eden Pillow
As one of the best pillow for neck pain, its pillowcase is made of lultra fabric. Lulltra is made from 40% bamboo-sourced rayon and 60% polyester. Coop Home did its best to make it cozy and super-comfortable for sleepers. The ergonomic design is a gusseted one that minimizes pillow pinch. A gusset runs across the perimeter of the pillow and prevents the inner filling from getting trapped at the edges. The main essence of this gusset is that there will be no need for fluffing the pillow. More importantly, there is a zipper to help you access the inner pillow.
The loft height is adjustable and still comes with shredded inner form in a crosscut arrangement. The manufacturer also packs extra foam with each unit of this pillow to allow sleepers to adjust based on personal preferences. To top it all, this pillow is gel-infused for extra softness. Since it is adjustable, all types of sleepers can use it appropriately. Coop guarantees a 100-night refund policy if you do not like it.
- Machine washable.
- CertiPUR-US standard.
- Cooling gel memory foam.
- Inner liner.
- Adjustable loft.
- 100-night money-back guarantee.
- Maintains temperature and keeps you cool.
- Ability to customize as you want.
- It is 100% eco-friendly.
- Side sleepers have noted it is too soft for them.
- Takes a while to off-gas.
There are some features that really stand out from this supportive pillow, among others, for avoiding neck pain. First, it is how natural latex used in its production makes it resistant to microbial attack. In addition, this natural latex makes the pillow resistant to bed bug infestation and dust mites. Secondly, the ergonomic design involves a curve that makes the shoulder well-rested and relieves pressure. Interestingly, it also has an adjustable loft to help all sleepers.
Unlike others, this pillow is not made of memory foam, so it is softer than most other pillows. Particularly, the inner latex filling is constructed in a crosscut style. And this latex is supported with poly silk, which is hypoallergenic. As one of the best pillows for neck pain made in the U.S, there is a guaranteed three-year warranty on each unit. As expected, a sleep artisan’s pillow is eco-friendly despite being made from latex.
- Adjustable loft.
- Natural Latex and Poly Silk material.
- Side sleeper pillow.
- Queen Size.
- Extra fill.
- It provides 97% more neck pressure relief than other pillows.
- The Talalay natural latex prevents allergic reactions such as sneezing, itching, etc.
- Provides quality sleep with extra filling to adjust the loft.
- There is no information about the air circulation ability.
- Some users have expressed disappointment that it does not come with a pillowcase despite the price.
8 – Misiki Memory Foam Pillow
To start with, this is one of the few pillows that is suitable for back and side sleepers. Furthermore, it is a memory foam cervical pillow that supports the neck and back sufficiently. The ergonomic design is described to have a butterfly shape that caters to the needs of both neck and shoulders. There is an armrest and center cavity for the head to rest. It is also referred to as an orthopaedic pillow because of its robust ergonomics. The hardness of the memory foam is moderate and still comfortable.
The pillow comes with a pillowcase that is made from 100% fabric and hypoallergenic. There is also a temperature sensing function incorporated into the design. The implication of this function is that the foam detects heat easily and equally adapts to the body.
- 40% rayon plus 60% polyester pillowcase.
- 100% polyurethane memory foam.
- Butterfly-shaped ergonomic design.
- Machine washable.
- Moderate firmness.
- Proper alignment of neck, head, spine, and shoulder.
- The pillowcase is skin-friendly and hypoallergenic.
- The contoured nature of the pillow minimizes movement for a sound sleeping experience.
- The loft height is not adjustable.
9 – ZAMAT Adjustable Cervical Memory Foam Pillow
ZAMAT understands that on average, human spends ⅓ of their life sleeping, and they want it to be the best. This pillow looks exactly like the Misiki in practically all ramifications. It has a butterfly design with all the needed center cavity and armrest. The breathable material used for the outer cover and memory foam keeps the pillow cool always. Even though it is washable, the memory foam should never be laundered. Only the pillowcase is machine washable.
The best part is that ZAMAT boasts of this pillow being suitable for back, side, and stomach sleepers. An added advantage of this pillow is the fact that it comes with two pillowcases. Generally, in comfort, support, pain relief, and value for money, this pillow performs well across the board.
- Odorless memory foam.
- Double Pillowcases.
- Butterfly design.
- CertPUR-US standard pillow.
- It can maintain its firmness and shape for a long time.
- Easy air circulation to keep sleepers cool.
- The loft is adjustable with a removable.
- The main memory foam cannot be washed.
10 – Nursal Neck Shoulder Massager Pillow
This pillow stands out because it is powered by a battery. This is the first among the pillows on this list that is electric. Little wonder, it’s among the best pillow for neck pain. Nursal is more than the regular pillow; it also doubles as a massager. In fact, it has heat to help it massage the back as well.
The outer cover is made of PU leather, while a 2000mah battery gives it life. As a multifunctional pillow, it can handle neck, back, and foot massaging. The heating system auto-off after 15 minutes to keep it safe and within the bearable limit of the body. You can also choose to use the heater or not while massaging. It all depends on your personal preference.
In general, it is a good buy if you want something more than ordinary. However, be ready to spend a little extra too.
- 2000mah capacity.
- Multifunctional massager.
- Adjustable strap.
- Power adapter.
- 3D deep kneading shiatsu massage.
- It can work on every part of the body.
- The pillow comes with an overheat protection circuit to control the heat.
- Usable in the car, home, or office with an adjustable strap.
- You need to pay attention to charging, so you don’t get disappointed.
11 – Buying Guide
It is not enough to just want the best pillow for neck pain; you must make a conscious effort to look out for some characteristics. These characteristics are explicitly cited below. Do come along for a ride.
What do you need to pay attention to when buying a neck pillow?
There are key factors to pay attention to when trying to buy a neck pillow, and they are listed below:
- Loft: Neck Pain arises when there is an offset in the proper alignment of the head and spine. Firstly, loft refers to how high or low the neck pillow is, and this affects its performance. In relation to your body, take cognizance of your shoulder width and head size. The neck pillow should not put any pressure on your neck by leaving it at an uncomfortable angle of alignment.
Secondly, the loft should match the type of sleeper you are. For stomach sleepers, a low-loft neck pillow is the best. Similarly, for back and side sleepers, the medium-loft and high-loft neck pillows are the best, respectively.
- Quality of Material: Away from the loft, the material used to make a neck pillow also matters a great deal. The material, in this case, refers to the internal fillings of the pillow. About six different materials are commonly used, ranging from polyester, latex, buckwheat, feather, polyfoam, and memory foam.
To put things in perspective, let’s quickly go over these different materials and their unique properties.
- A memory foam pillow is by far the most popular among those suffering from neck pain. It is fairly affordable and easy to come by. However, it has been reported to become hot when in use. It is also hypoallergenic.
- A polyfoam pillow is quite cheap, lightweight, and hypoallergenic. But it tends to wear out quickly.
- A feather pillow is much more expensive because it is made from the outer feathers of ducks or geese. This also needs regular fluffing.
- A buckwheat pillow is a firmer pillow for those that love pillows like this. Although it can be a bit noisy when turning over, its neck support is excellent.
- A polyester pillow is quite popular because it mimics the feel of cotton, and this can be misleading sometimes. This pillow is hypoallergenic, cheap, and comes with varying softness levels.
- A latex pillow is a bit heavy but very excellent in providing neck and head support. Unlike the feather pillow, it rarely needs fluffing, which is great.
- Firmness level: Depending on the type of sleeper you are, different firmness levels apply. The goal of any pillow should be to help you maintain your favorite sleeping position without your neck suffering. A side sleeper should opt for a firm pillow to keep the pressure off the neck. Furthermore, a stomach sleeper should opt for a soft pillow that keeps the neck in a comfortable position. Lastly, a back sleeper would want to opt for a moderately firm pillow with the most width.
- Shape: in every pillow, ergonomics should always be considered. Often, a cervical pillow or orthopedic pillow is the best bet in terms of shape. This shape makes sure that the head and neck are well-supported through the night with ease.
- Price: This wraps up this section, and it is quite important. Investing the right amount in buying the appropriate neck pillow will do your health a lot of good. Be sure to never compromise quality over price. Premium quality products often cost more, and you should always bear this in mind.
What is the difference between a neck and a normal pillow, and why is it important?
The main difference between these two pillows lies in their ergonomic design. A neck pillow is designed with personal health in mind; the design makes sure it fits perfectly around the neck. The primary goal of a neck pillow is to ensure that the head, neck, and spine are in proper alignment regardless of your sleeping position. On the other hand, normal pillows often put pressure on the neck instead of relieving it. A neck pillow would normally bounce back to its normal shape after compression, but a normal pillow would not. In general, a neck pillow beats a normal pillow in personal health, durability, contour support, and smoothness.
Advantages of a pillow for neck pain
- A neck pillow aligns the neck with the spine for good posture.
- A neck pillow can be adjusted to fit your need to reduce pain.
- It is possible to select the right thickness and firmness based on your favorite sleeping position.
- It generally helps to keep you well-rested.
Disadvantages of not sleeping with a pillow
- This can result in poor posture. Nonetheless, the extent of damage it can do depends on the prominent sleeping position.
- This will result in neck pain because the neck muscles will be tensioned and strained.
What is the best sleeping position to minimize neck pain?
Sleeping experts have recommended the back or side sleeping positions as the best for those with neck pain. The stomach sleeping position has been found to put extreme pressure on the neck with a sharp bend of the head. Therefore, it is best to choose between these two sleeping positions. But in these two positions, sleepers should endeavor to keep the neck, head, and spine in a straight line.
12 – Frequently Asked Questions
Here are exact answers to some of the questions that may pop up in your mind as your read.
What is the best pillow for severe neck pain?
There is no specific answer to this question. In fact, the answer is relative to the sleeper. A side sleeper would require a different pillow from a back sleeper. Similarly, a stomach sleeper would require a different pillow from a side sleeper. Stomach sleepers need a low-loft pillow to balance the head, neck, and spine. Side sleepers require a high-loft pillow, while a back sleeper requires a medium-loft pillow. The loft of these pillows helps to balance the body well, and that is why they are important.
So, once you identify what type of sleeper you are, the best pillow would be the one that fits your sleeping position.
What is the best pillow for neck pain and migraines?
Neck pain and migraines are associated with poor sleep quality. And a pillow can make all the difference and turn the story around. Just like the analysis above, there is no specific pillow made for neck pain and migraine. The target should be to find a pillow that fits your sleep position, and every other thing falls in place. A good sleep from the best pillow would not automatically result in a migraine.
What kind of pillows do chiropractors recommend?
Chiropractors typically advise people to sleep on their side or back. Therefore, the pillows that will fit these positions are medium-loft and high-loft pillows. The neck should always be in a neutral position along with the head and spine. Along with the loft, the firmness, size, and shape of the pillow should be considered as well.
How should I sleep if my neck hurts?
Whenever you feel your neck is hurt, change your sleeping position. The side and back positions are the best positions to sleep in if your neck hurts. Follow this up with the best pillow for neck pain that fits this sleeping position to completely take rid of the pain. In any of these positions, make sure that you are comfortable and derive pleasure while sleeping.
Can the wrong pillow cause neck pain?
Yes, this is absolutely true in every sense. Pillows are tailor-made to fit different sleeping positions, so there’s no outright wrong pillow. Thus, a pillow will be wrong only if it does not fit your sleeping position.
Does a memory foam pillow cause headaches?
To answer this question, it is good to understand what a memory foam pillow is made of. A memory foam pillow is made from polyurethane. And it compresses when pressured and returns to its original size when pressure is withdrawn.
Unfortunately, there is a great tendency that memory foam pillows can cause headaches. This is because this pillow has been found to get people hot when they sleep. In addition, this pillow contains Volatile Organic Compounds, which can give off some foul odor. This odor can make sleepers uncomfortable, and in combination with being hot, a headache can arise.
13 – Conclusion
It is apparent that the best pillow for neck pain must have certain characteristics. Those characteristics will determine how well it will perform in service. Rest assured, all our suggestions in this article will serve you well to your maximum satisfaction. In fact, buying these pillows come as medical advice in some cases. This shows that they are very good at helping people that suffer from neck pain. Do well to make a conscious choice of these cervical pillows, and you will thank us later!