Did you know sleeping on your side is the best way to get a good night’s rest? If you’ve tried sleeping on your back and laying flat has left you to toss and turn all night, then side sleeping may be for you. Unfortunately, not every pillow is designed with the best sleep positions in mind. This can end up causing neck pain and even migraines. While comfort is vital, so many factors go into finding the best pillow for side sleepers.
We’ve reviewed the top pillows that are good and ideal for side sleepers and included various factors to consider when buying a pillow for your particular needs. Choosing the pillow ideal for side sleepers is not a decision to take lightly. The wrong choice can lead to poor sleep and a long list of uncomfortable side sleeper problems. So, let’s cut through all of the noise and evaluate the best pillows for side sleepers.
- Top 10 Best Pillow For Side Sleepers
- 1 – The Scrumptious Side Sleeper Pillow (Queen)
- 2 – Sidney Sleep Side Sleeper Pillow
- 3 – Royal Therapy 4-Layer Queen Memory Foam Pillow
- 4 – Dmi Side Sleeper Body Pillow
- 5 – Eli & Elm | Ultimate Side Sleeper Pillow
- 6 – Cut & Sewn Latex Side Sleeper Bed Pillow
- 7 – Mkicesky Side Sleeper Contour Memory Foam Pillow
- 8 – CPAP Pillow
- 9 – Sleep Yoga Cover Side Sleeper Arm Rest Posture Pillow
- 10 – Pillow Cube Pro – 5 Inch
- Buying Guide for the Best Pillow For Side Sleepers
- Frequently Asked Questions on Best Pillow For Side Sleepers
Top 10 Best Pillow For Side Sleepers
Do you love sleeping on your side but hate waking up with a stiff neck? Unfortunately, a traditional pillow will not provide the support necessary for side sleepers. In fact, it’s one of the most common complaints from individuals who slumber in this position.
If you’re searching for a solution to this problem, then you’re likely here to learn about the best pillow for side sleepers. We have compiled a list of the highest-rated pillows available today specifically designed for those who prefer sleeping on their sides.
1 – The Scrumptious Side Sleeper Pillow (Queen)
The Scrumptious Side Sleeper Pillow is one of the best pillows for side sleepers. It’s specially designed to provide the perfect balance of softness and support so you can easily transition from back to side sleeping with no flipping or fluffing.
For one thing, they’re softer and thicker than other pillows. This allows them to conform to your head, neck, and shoulders while still keeping the cervical curve of your neck supported. Without this support, it’s easy to wake up with shoulder, neck, and shoulder pain. This is why side sleepers need more fill than stomach sleepers or back sleepers.
- Anti-bacterial material
- Made of certified CertiPUR-US copper
- Hypoallergenic cover
- Machine washable
- Gel-infused memory foam
- It’s specially designed to provide the perfect balance of softness and support
- Completely adjustable
- Very long durability
- It does not hold its shape
2 – Sidney Sleep Side Sleeper Pillow
The Sidney Sleep Side Sleeper Pillow is the best pillow for side sleepers because it provides a combination of firmness, loft, and adjustability that many other pillows lack. If you are a side sleeper, the Sidney Sleep Side Sleeper Pillow will help you sleep more comfortably, allow you to breathe more easily, and help to prevent pain in your shoulders, neck, and spine.
The Sidney Pillow’s unique design incorporates a thin profile at the top, along with a thicker profile at the bottom, to provide extra support in your lower neck and shoulder area. The pillow is also adjustable so that you can add or remove stuffing to customize your comfort, as well as your support.
- Foam filling
- Ergonomic Design
- Memory foam pillow
- Removable covers
- Total support
- This pillow is made of 100% cotton cover, which allows it to breathe better
- It is machine washable and dryer safe
- The product is made with responsive memory foam and has an adjustable loft that is great for side, back and stomach sleepers.
- It has a contour design that helps cradle your head and neck in place while you sleep
- Comes with a long-lasting microfiber cover that makes it durable
- It does not come with enough fluff, which may negatively affect its durability
3 – Royal Therapy 4-Layer Queen Memory Foam Pillow
Experience the ultimate in sleep comfort with this Royal Therapy memory foam queen pillow. It’s filled with 4-inches of extra-high density foam to conform to your unique shape and position, giving you the right support for a restful night’s sleep.
The high-quality memory foam is hypoallergenic and dust mites resistant and resistant to mold, mildew, and bacteria. The cushioned cover has a zippered closure for easy washing. This pillow is ideal for side sleepers and back sleepers but can be used by anyone looking for better sleep.
- Special spinal alignment
- 4-layer design
- Constructed bamboo cover
- dust mite-resistant pillowcase
- Therapeutic Support
- It is made of hypoallergenic materials – memory foam, charcoal infused foam, thermocool fabric, and polyurethane
- It offers a nice balance between softness and support
- The pillow has a contoured design that gives it an ergonomic shape
- It comes with a removable bamboo cover that makes it easy to clean.
- This is a very plush pillow, so it’s best for side sleepers who like to snuggle into their pillow
- Memory foam can feel hot during warm weather, so, no good temperature regulation.
4 – Dmi Side Sleeper Body Pillow
The DMI Side Sleeper Body Pillow offers the perfect solution for side sleepers. Designed with a unique, contoured shape and curved end that is ideal for cradling your head and supporting your neck, this pillow helps to reduce painful tension and pressure on nerves.
The DMI Side Sleeper Body Pillow is a great choice for side sleepers and is also an excellent solution for those who are pregnant or have recently had surgery. This pillow is designed to provide long-lasting support as it retains its shape night after night.
- U-shaped design
- Firm and tender polyester filing
- Washable cover
- 1 pounds weight
- Pure white color
- Helps keep your spine aligned properly during rest
- Provides proper head, neck, and shoulder support while sleeping on your side
- Naturally antimicrobial and resistant to mold, mildew, bacteria and, dust mites
- Cradles body to help alleviate back pain
- Ergonomic design to fit the body shape and size of the sleeper
- The pillow is thick, It might take time to get used to it.
5 – Eli & Elm | Ultimate Side Sleeper Pillow
The Eli & Elm pillow is a premium pillow. It is the perfect pillow for side sleepers. In addition, the pillow is great for those who suffer from neck pain, shoulder pain, or back pain. The pillow is made from cooling gel memory foam and has an optimized curve to prevent your head from falling forward, thus keeping your spine aligned.
It has a lot of lofts, which means it won’t compress or squash down as you move around during sleep. It also means it doesn’t require much force to push your head against the pillow, making it easier for you to breathe at night.
- Adjustable loft
- Hypoallergenic, natural down alternative fill
- Breathable cover
- CertiPUR-US certified fill
- Cooling Gel Layer
- Very comfortable, thanks to its unique shape and memory foam construction
- It helps to relieve pressure points and offers relief from snoring, acid reflux, and sleep apnea
- The pillow also comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Helps reduce snoring
- This pillow is not suited for stomach sleepers because it is quite thick and firm
6 – Cut & Sewn Latex Side Sleeper Bed Pillow
If you’re a side sleeper and looking for a pillow that’s going to last, then this pillow is for you. The Cut & Sewn Latex Side Sleeper Bed Pillow is the perfect fit for any side sleeper who needs the extra support to keep their neck in alignment with their spine.
The latex pillow is a truly unique design that combines the look and feel of a down pillow with the support and durability of latex foam.
- Elastic memory foam
- Latex materials
- Rectangular shape
- Queen size
- It provides exceptional support and comfort throughout the night
- The pillow is made from 100% latex which makes it long-lasting and durable.
- Ideal for stomach and side sleepers
- Firm, yet pliable memory foam
- Great hypoallergenic material
- Off-gassing smell that lasts a couple of days
7 – Mkicesky Side Sleeper Contour Memory Foam Pillow
This pillow is designed with memory foam, which responds to your body heat and movement, softening where pressure is applied and keeping its shape once you remove the pressure.
This can provide support in areas that need it most, such as support in neck alignment and head. The memory foam also offers gentle conforming and cradling, which can help side sleepers feel comfortable when sleeping on their sides.
- Rectangular shape
- Neck pain relief system
- Suitable size
- Ergonomic design
- Soft and firm
- The pillow is made from a premium high-density memory foam that is both comfortable and durable.
- It is shaped perfectly for side sleepers, ensuring that their neck and shoulders are supported at all times.
- The cotton cover on the pillow is breathable, which helps to keep you cool while you sleep on it.
- The cover is also removable, which makes it easy to clean so you can keep your pillow fresh and hygienic at all times.
- The high-density memory foam contours to the natural curves of your body, providing excellent support and comfort throughout the night.
- Some users have complained that the pillow has a strong chemical smell at first, but this will fade away after some days if you air out the pillow often enough.
8 – CPAP Pillow
CPAP pillows are designed to accommodate your mask, tubing, and headgear while you’re sleeping. Check that the pillow you choose is compatible with your type of mask and will fit in your bed.
The pillows on this list are all compatible with standard CPAP masks, which cover the nose or both the nose and mouth. Most of these pillows offer contouring for side sleepers, but some also work for back and stomach sleeping positions.
- Soft and comfortable material
- Contour design
- Memory foam material
- Skin sensitive pillow case
- Air leaks prevention
- You can sleep in any position you want
- This pillow allows comfortable sleeping on your side while wearing your mask
- Your mask stays on – The foam is molded to create a groove that perfectly fits the shape of your face, so you don’t have to worry about it falling off while you sleep
- These pillows are soft and fluffy, making them great for people who like to feel cozy at night!
- The pillow can also help provide comfort while wearing the large full face mask.
9 – Sleep Yoga Cover Side Sleeper Arm Rest Posture Pillow
The Sleep Yoga Side Sleeper armrest is perfect for side sleepers, because it’s specifically designed to provide you with the most comfortable sleep.
The pillow has a unique design that allows your arm and shoulder to rest comfortably as you sleep on your side. The design also helps to keep your neck in a neutral position, so you won’t wake up with a stiff neck.
- Machine washable
- White color
- Polyester material
- Soft and sturdy
- Designed angles and contours
- The pillow’s arm rest prevents shoulder compression, neck aches, numbness and other issues that can affect side sleepers.
- It helps you maintain proper alignment as you sleep and provides a comfortable surface to rest your arms.
- Comfortable than some other armrest pillows that are filled with dense foam
- Soft and tender
- It comes with a machine-washable cover that’s easy to clean
- Some people find it too firm, but this can be corrected by replacing it with a softer pillowcase or using two pillows instead of one.
10 – Pillow Cube Pro – 5 Inch
The Pillow Cube Pro is a solution for a great night’s sleep. With its slow-release foam and soft, breathable fabric, this pillow is scientifically designed to provide maximum comfort, support and durability. It keeps your head cool while you sleep and adjusts to your body shape.
The slow-release foam provides excellent pressure relief for side or back sleepers, so you can get the best night’s sleep possible. The pillow also features a hypoallergenic outer cover that protects against dust mites and bacteria.
- Built-in neck support system
- Slow-release foam
- Hypoallergenic outer cover
- Easy to fill and clean
- Can be expanded by linking cubes together with tunnels
- Great for taking a nap
- Very comfortable
- High quality built
- The pillow is small
Buying Guide for the Best Pillow For Side Sleepers
Pillows serve a very important role in your sleep, and you wouldn’t want to underestimate this crucial accessory. Side sleepers, especially those who suffer from shoulder or back pain, will definitely benefit from using the right pillow. However, successful side sleepers need not be confined to their sleeping habit just because of an ill-suited pillow.
- Where do you pay attention to when buying this product?
Side sleepers need a firm pillow to support the head and neck while keeping the spine in a neutral position. Because side sleepers generally lie with their heads at an angle away from the mattress, they need a pillow that is taller than average.
Comfort is the most important factor to consider when choosing the best pillow for side sleepers. Unfortunately, pillows are not one-size-fits-all, so you have to find one that feels good against your skin and will allow you to achieve a comfortable position for sleeping.
Some people tend to move around in their sleep, and finding a supportive pillow can help them stay in one place. The pillow should also be supportive enough to keep your head from rolling around on your bed as well! It might seem like an insignificant detail, but having good support will make you feel refreshed when you wake up each morning.
The price for pillows is not high, and even the most expensive ones is not that expensive. However, a high-quality pillow at a reasonable price is the best choice for most people.
- What is the difference with a normal pillow and why is it important?
Normal pillow is suitable for sleeping on your back and side, but sleeping on your side, you need to have a pillow that will be good in supporting your head at the same height as your shoulders. This is important because it can lead to a nerve injury known as pinched nerves when you don’t have the right pillow.
Pillows for side sleepers are larger and firmer than normal pillows because they support the head and neck. In addition, pillows for side sleepers have a unique shape that you will not find in regular pillows.
It is shaped like a wedge and thicker on one end, allowing the user to have more support in the neck area. In addition, the sides of side sleeper pillows are much thinner than the top and bottom, which makes it easier to rest your head on them without feeling any pain.
Side sleeping pillows give you the same type of support that orthopedic pillow gives you. You will feel immediate relief from neck and shoulder pain when you use this type of pillow for sleeping.
- Advantages of a pillow for side sleeper
A side sleeper pillow is one of the most remarkable ways to get excellent sleep. They are specifically designed to provide you with a comfortable and healthy sleep through the night.
Since the pillow is intended for use by a side sleeper, it should be supporting your head, neck, and shoulder. It should also have a contour that will allow your spine to align. One of the most significant advantages of side sleeper pillows is that they help maintain proper posture, which helps to reduce back pain and also aids in reducing snoring.
It is worth noting that people who sleep on their sides don’t usually require a firm pillow. Using this type of pillow means no need for you to keep adjusting it when you sleep.
A good pillow will ensure that your head and neck are correctly aligned, thus promoting good air circulation while sleeping. This helps ensure that you breathe properly while sleeping which helps prevent snoring.
- Disadvantages of a pillow for side sleeper
The disadvantage of a side sleeper pillow is that if you don’t find the right one, you may not get a good night’s sleep. The wrong side sleeper pillow can cause neck and back pain and make it hard for the person to sleep well.
Pillows that are too firm or too soft may cause neck pain and headache. This is why it is important to find the right firmness level for your pillow. And also, This type of pillow is rather large, which means that it’s not comfortable to travel with it. So if you’re going on business trips or vacations, you might want to consider this before buying one.
Here are some disadvantages of using a pillow for side sleepers:
- You may have an increased risk of neck pain if you use a wrong pillow
- The wrong pillow can also increase your chances of developing headaches and dizziness
- If you choose the wrong pillow, you will not be able to maintain proper alignment between your head, neck, and spine
- If you use the wrong type of pillow, you may have issues with breathing problems while sleeping
- Using the wrong type of pillow can result in sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea
- A bad quality pillow may lead to issues such as snoring
- Poor quality pillows can lead to acid reflux or heartburn in some people
- You may have issues with back pain if you use the wrong type of pillow
Frequently Asked Questions on Best Pillow For Side Sleepers
Looking for the best pillow for side sleepers? It can be a little challenging to find one that answers all your needs with so many to choose from. Check out this really useful FAQ on side sleeping pillows that includes the best answers.
- What type of pillow is best for side sleepers?
If you’re a side sleeper, you’ll want to get a pillow that’s thick enough to support your head and neck. In addition, you’ll need a firm pillow to give you enough support, so your head, neck, and spine are in alignment.
The best pillow that is ideal for side sleepers is one that’s a little thicker than most, with firm support and some contouring to provide space between the mattress and your head. In addition, your pillow should fill in the gap between your ear and your shoulder without causing neck pain or forcing you to turn your head at an odd angle.
The ideal pillow is a matter of personal preference, body type, and sleeping style. The goal is to keep your spine in alignment from head to toe, so you wake up feeling rested and pain-free.
Side sleepers need a pillow that fills in the distance between their ear and outside shoulder. If you’re a side sleeper, it’s best to go for a thicker pillow to keep your neck aligned.
Many people like memory foam pillows because they offer a lot of support and are highly “conforming” — they mold to the shape of your head and neck. Another good option is a down pillow, which offers great support and comfort.
- How do you pick a side sleeper pillow?
It is well known that the pillow’s quality good night’s sleep can depend on the quality of your pillow. It’s important to understand that one pillow does not suit every sleeper.
For example, if you are a back sleeper, it is essential to have a thin pillow around the sides of your head and neck, yet it still has to be supportive below because it is enough to cradle your head. On the other hand, side sleepers require a much thicker pillow because they need additional support under their shoulder and neck.
If you prefer to sleep on your front, it is best to use a very thin pillow with little or no fillings to not raise your head too much from the bed surface. This helps prevent neck and lower back pain. When choosing a pillow for side sleeping, you have many options, as many types of pillows are available in the market today.
Each type of pillow has its upsides and downsides, so it’s important you know exactly what you need before choosing one for yourself.
- What is the best pillow for side sleepers with neck and shoulder pain?
The best pillow for side sleepers with neck and shoulder pain is one that fills the gap between your neck and the mattress. You may be able to do this with a single pillow or by stacking two or more pillows. If you have severe neck and shoulder pain, talk to your doctor about whether a special pillow would help you sleep better.
People with chornice neck and shoulder pain are often recommended with Memory foam pillows. This material conforms to your head and neck and can alleviate pressure points, which may improve symptoms of fibromyalgia, arthritis, and whiplash. These special pillows also tend to stay cooler than other types of pillows because they’re better at absorbing heat.
A soft, cloud-like feel. Side sleepers need a pillow that feels soft and silky smooth. Your pillow should be so soft that you don’t feel the bed underneath it. A gentle firmness. A too-soft pillow can cause your head to sink down, leading to aches and pains in your neck and shoulders.
A too-firm pillow won’t give you the support you need for a good night’s rest. You need a pillow that offers the perfect balance of softness and firmness. The right height. Side sleepers who are larger than average may want to choose a thicker pillow, while smaller folks may need a thinner pillow that offers more stability without causing you to crane your head up or down awkwardly while sleeping.
- Do side sleeper pillows work?
The short answer is yes. Side sleeper pillows do work. However, some pillows are only comfortable for a short time after you first get them. Also, if the pillow is too flat or thick, it can cause neck or back pain. So it’s important to find a pillow that has the right combination of firmness, softness, and height.
A good sleeping pillow will give you enough support to keep your head in a neutral position while sleeping. A neutral position means that your chin should not be jutting forward or tilting too far back. You want the airway to be open so you can breathe easily without snoring or feeling congested.
Side sleepers need a different type of pillow than back sleepers or stomach sleepers. This is because they need more height and high loft to fill in the gap between their shoulder and neck, so their head does not tilt forward or backward during the sleep position, leading to neck pain and stiffness in the morning.
Side sleeper pillows work by providing extra support for people who sleep on their side. Side sleeper pillows are thicker than regular pillows, so they can fill in the space between your shoulder and neck when sleeping.
- Is memory foam good for side sleepers?
Memory foam mattresses are well suited to side sleepers. They are soft and able to conform to your body, relieving pressure points. Side sleeping is the most popular sleeping position, but it’s not the best for your back. A memory foam mattress can help alleviate this problem by conforming to your body’s natural curves.
Memory foam is the best material for side sleepers for a number of reasons:
- It molds to your body.
- The pillow relieves pressure points.
- Memory foam provides good spinal alignment.
- Finally, this specific Memory foam is good at motion isolation.
- What height pillow is best for side sleepers?
A medium-thick pillow can help support the head and neck in proper alignment for a side sleeper. A thicker pillow is the best for side sleepers who sleep with their arm under their pillow.
However, pillows that are too high or too thick may cause neck pain for some people. In this case, a thinner pillow or none at all may be best. To determine the correct thickness of your pillow, lie down on your side and tuck your arm underneath your head.
Your elbow should be slightly bent. If your head is positioned to you feel any strain on the back of your neck or shoulders, you should use a thinner pillow. Conversely, if there’s a gap between your head and arm, you should use a thicker pillow.
- How is a side sleeper pillow different?
A side sleeper pillow is different than a standard pillow because it has a design that will help prevent your head from turning as you sleep. This is done by having a higher portion in the middle of the pillow, with supports on either side to keep your head from rolling around.
A side sleeper pillow is one that is designed to provide the proper support and comfort for a side sleeper. Unfortunately, many pillows are too thick or too thin for side sleepers, which can cause pain in your neck, shoulders, and back.
A good side sleeper pillow will allow you to keep your spine in proper alignment while sleeping on your side. This will help prevent aches and pains that can occur if your spine isn’t correctly supported throughout the night.
- How can I sleep on my side without hurting my shoulder?
First, if you’re a big pillow user, you might want to consider switching to a smaller pillow or no pillow at all. Using too many pillows can put your neck in an unnatural position, which can pull on your shoulders. If a small pillow just doesn’t cut it for you, consider getting a body pillow and hugging it while you sleep.
Another way to relieve shoulder pain is by sleeping on the opposite side of your body (e.g., if you usually sleep on your left side, switch over to the right). This will allow the muscles in your shoulder to relax and will help them heal faster.
Try sleeping on your stomach. Many people prefer this position, but it certainly isn’t for everyone. Instead, you can put a pillow underneath your pelvis to help keep your back straight and take pressure off of your low back.
If you like it but find it’s too hard on your knees and hips, try using a pillow under each leg (one between the knee and ankle of one leg; another between the knee and ankle of the other leg).
To sum up, the best pillow for side sleepers will likely be a matter of personal preference, as each individual has different choices when it comes to the preferred firmness of their pillow. In addition, the best pillow for a side sleeper might also come down to what they are most comfortable with while they are lying on their side.
A great example of this is memory foam pillows. Some people will find that even if it isn’t their good option, if the memory foam pillow just feels more comfortable for them on their particular mattress, then it will be the best pillow for them.
It comes down to what you prefer and how much you are willing to spend before you find the best result for you.